Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2013 08:36:14 -0700
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Iain Young <iain@g7iii.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SD card -image- for the beaglebone

On Thu, 2013-01-31 at 11:02 +0000, Iain Young wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have just taken delivery of a few Beaglebones that I am intending to
> do some NTP Work. With FreeBSD having one of the better reputations
> with regards to Time and PPS etc, I thought I would install FreeBSD on
> at least one of them.
>
> Unfortunately, all of the guides I've found all assume you have a
> FreeBSD box already running. Unfortunately, I don't, and nor do I have
> a spare x86 box to do so.
>
> Does anyone have an *image* of a base install for a 4 Gig microSD
> card that I can download ? Preferably with ssh and dhcp installed
> (yes, I know about blowing away the keys), as that would avoid having
> to rely on the console.
>
> Quite happy to rebuild the kernel and world afterwards (yes, I know I
> need an 8 Gig SD card), but it's just this bootstrapping problem thats
> an issue...

So you're interested in a PPS driver for BeagleBone?  That would be fun
to play with, I wonder what the BB's timer hardware looks like?  It'd be
easy enough to do with a gpio interrupt I suspect, but the timing geek
in me can't resist going for the nanosecond-accurate measurements when
possible, even if it is kind of pointless for millisecond-accurate NTP.

-- Ian