Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 2008 03:27:35 -0800
From:      "Garrett Cooper" <yanefbsd@gmail.com>
To:        "Zaphod Beeblebrox" <zbeeble@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD64 qemu completely broken?

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com> wrote:
> I decided to take the comments about testing ZFS to heart --- so I decided
> to try copying my 7.0 "v6" ZFS configuration into a qemu instance and
> upgrading it.  To do this, I carefully copied my UFS boot partition and my
> ZFS partion to a physical USB disk that I could put on a system to do the
> test.
>
> After compiling qemu and loading the kqemu and aio kernel module, I started
> the emulator, first in VNC mode.  It loaded the kernel (currently 7.1-RC)
> and tried to boot, but kept failing either shortly after kbdmux detected a
> keyboard or it would get through to mounting root and not find any drives.
> For reference, besides the display option (ie: -vnc or whatever), my command
> line was:
>
> qemu-system-x86_64 -hda /dev/da0 -snapshot -m 512
>
> I couldn't scroll back in VNC mode using the pause/break key, so I tried to
> get qemu running directly in X.
>
> Now... I see a few posts stating that running qemu remotely causes an X
> protocol error.  I can confirm that.  Something about Qemu's use of X will
> no work over an SSH remote connection (with -X), nor will it work with
> dxpc.  It dies for me every time at X event sequence number 22.  Xterms
> work.  Gimp even works.  qemu does not.
>
> So I got a vnc server running to run it locally.
>
> And now it crashes reliably in one spot.  boot0 and boot1 don't recognize
> the keyboard ... but the press space after crash does.  Besides that quirk,
> the 7.1-RC kernel crashes with the following transcript reliably:
>
> MADT: Forcing active-low polarity and level trigger for SCI
> kbd1 at kbdmux0
> ath_hal: 0.9.20.3 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, RF5111, RF5112, RF2413, RF5413)
>

> Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode
> cpuid = 0; apic id=00
> instruction pointer             = 0x8:0xffff
>
> ... and so on.
>
> I'd like to test this... has anyone any successes with the AMD64 qemu?

Are you running the ports version, or a different version, and/or are
you using kqemu (I've heard this was broken, in the past)? My group at
Cisco has several issues with older versions of qemu for PPC and when
we applied patches, it improved support greatly in some cases, and
introduced bugs in other cases =\.

I'd definitely hit the devel list for QEMU and see what they say while
you're waiting for a more substantial reply here.

Cheers,
-Garrett