Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2013 10:06:24 +0100
From:      Wolfgang Zenker <wolfgang@lyxys.ka.sub.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>, "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: x11 hangs unkillable on 10.0-BETA1

* Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> [131027 06:10]:
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 9:31 PM, illoai@gmail.com <illoai@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 26 October 2013 21:18, Wolfgang Zenker <wolfgang@lyxys.ka.sub.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Testing 10.0-BETA1 on an old IBM T42p Laptop, after a while Xorg starts
>>> to use 100% CPU, stops to update the screen and does not accept any
>>> input anymore. I can still work from remote via ssh; top shows Xorg using
>>> up 100% CPU most of the time. Trying to kill or even kill -9 the Xorg
>>> process does not result in an error message but fails to terminate the
>>> process.

>> [..]
>> is one of those terrible i915 or something video cards.  Ugh.

This is a pre-Lenovo T42p and X identifies the graphics card as an
[AMD/ATI] RV350/M10 GL [Mobility FireGL T2] rev 128

> I am surprised by this. I have a T42 with the Intel 3000 graphics card and
> it has worked quite well for me. I use mplayer, vlc, and (primarily) xine
> on it.  I use the default video output device for all. I thought the
> default was Xv, but I could well be wrong. It's been working for me on
> stable for well over a year. I started using it when kib made patches
> available, but I have been running the committed version.

> Just to confirm, you have WITH_NEW_XORG=YES and WITH_KMS=YES in
> /etc/make.conf and have built all X ports and the kernel with these options.

So far I have not tried WITH_NEW_XORG=YES, beause AFAIR that would not
allow me to switch back to console after starting X11.

The last line in the Xorg.0.log of the failed session was
[mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.
so I might give WITH_NEW_XORG=YES a try.

Wolfgang