Date:      Sat, 4 Aug 2001 23:52:04 -0700
From:      Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange problem with Ritek Compact flash

Richard Johnson writes:
 > I have a Ritek Compact Flash 128Mb card which I'm inserting into my
 > PCMCIA slot using a Compact Flash PCMCIA adapter.  This works just
 > fine for lots of other compact flash cards, and I can mount the disk
 > as a msdos file system just fine, however with the Ritek card I keep
 > getting the error:
 > 	deget(): pcbmap returned 0
 > when I do "ls" inside the top level directory of the card.

Sorry for bothering everyone with this.  I figured out what was
happening.  I'm not sure if this Compact Flash card came with a DOS
filesystem on it or if my camera created one initially and did it
incorrectly.  At any rate, I found that creating a file in the top
directory made the other files appear!  Using this method I was able
to save the information I had on the card and then reformatting the
card seems to have created a new, correct, msdos filesystem this
time.  I don't see the pcbmap errors anymore.

Like I said above, sorry for bothering everyone.  I'm new to Compact
Flash.  I've now learned something useful.  I'll go away now...

/raj