Date:      Wed, 14 Sep 2011 10:27:21 -0700
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        Jonathan Vomacka <juvix88@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommended SWAP space for large amounts of ram (8GB)

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 6:55 AM, Matthew Seaman
<m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> ... In these days of plentiful RAM, the new rule of thumb is "if you're
> swapping, then you're doing it wrong."

I think your response follows the excellent pedagogical principle: "a
little inaccuracy saves a lot of explanation."  But... disk is still
(by far) the cheapest commodity, and the opportunistic paging
algorithm manages VM very well.  VM is not by any means obsolete, and
seeing paging behavior is not a sign of a misconfigured system.

Regards,

- Michael