Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:18:01 +0200
From:      Marc Fonvieille <marc@blackend.org>
To:        Krishna Mohan Gundu <gkmohan@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wep key index in examples of section 29.3 in handbook

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:35:25PM +0200, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 02:35:14AM -0700, Krishna Mohan Gundu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After I put some effort into building a ndis driver for my wireless
> > 802.11g card, I proceeded to configure the network. For me the section
> > that seemed to be most relevant was "29.3.3.1.4 WEP". So I chose the
> > example as a template to configure my device. In the hindsight, after
> > spending a few hours in correctly configuring my wireless device, I
> > realized that the document could have saved me those hours if only it
> > had used wep key index of 1 instead 3 in the example. I would like to
> > raise the following concerns
> >
> > 1) A novice would not know that WEP access points can use any of the
> > four keys it uses for encryption and that all these keys have to be
> > set correctly. I got to know this only after reading the wikipedia
> > page on WEP at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Equivalent_Privacy .
> > Further that most access points only use one key and I believe the
> > index of this key is mostly 1. This discussion could be added to some
> > subsection.
> >

> Hello,
>
> But if we read this section we have:
>
> ---
> WEP can be set up with ifconfig:
>
> # ifconfig ath0 ssid my_net wepmode on weptxkey 3 wepkey 3:0x3456789012 \
> 	inet 192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> 	- The weptxkey means which WEP key will be used in the
> 	  transmission. Here we used the third key. This must match the
> 	  setting in the access point.
> ---
>
> The answer of this problem is written just after the command line.
>
> Regarding the reason why we used an example with the third key and not
> the default 1, it's to push people to really check their config to make
> sure what key they use.
[...]

Sorry I misread, you talked about the "index".  The same remark can be
done, the text following the command line explains the "3":

	- The wepkey means setting the selected WEP key. It should in
	  the format index:key, if the index is not given, key 1 is set.
	  That is to say we need to set the index if we use keys other
	  than the first key.

I'll stop to pasting, the rest of the text also invites the read to look
for more information inside ifconfig(8) manual page and the
/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf config rings bells one this points.

--
Marc