Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 1995 23:07:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Steve Passe <fbsd@rick.systemsix.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FrrrBSD 2.0 Installation over FTP

On Fri, 10 Feb 1995, Steve Passe wrote:

> > to try to install using FTP.  I've tried to install the 2.0 release, the
> > jan 25 (?) snapshot, the 2/2 snapshot, and the 2/10 snapshot.  None of
> > them work.
>

> hello,
> 	i still recommend 1.1.5.1 to anyone that is looking for a
> good unix.  perhaps we should still offer that on freebsd.cdrom.com.
> at the very least we need to figure out how to better convey the
> experimental nature of 2.x to newcomers.
>
> 					Steve Passe
> 					smp@rick.systemsix.com

I have to wonder, this sounds like a great suggestion, I'd think to word
it stronger.  The snapshots aren't release versions, and I don't think
they're a good thing to use as one's first exposure to FreeBSD, and most
especially not for a machine that is going to be a server.  Shouldn't it
be emphasized a little that these are pre-release snapshots, not in any
way guaranteed bug-free?

7608 Topton St.             |
New Carrollton, MD 20784    | I run Journey2 (Freebsd 2.0) and n3lxx
(301) 459-2316              | (FreeBSD 1.1.5.1) and am I happy!