Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2000 17:20:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unkillable process

On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> I have been trying to setup hylafax on an internal server and am not having
> much luck killing a process that is stuck on cuaa1
>
> marble# fstat cuaa1
> USER     CMD          PID   FD MOUNT      INUM MODE         SZ|DV R/W NAME
> fax      faxsend    62096    2 /          7199 crw-rw-rw-   cuaa1 rw  cuaa1
>
> marble# ps -auxwj | grep fax
> fax  62096  0.0  0.7  2240 1828  ??  IE   -         0:00.00  (faxsend)
> fax  62096    1  54026 2227780    0  IE    ??    0:00.00  (faxsend)
>
> kill -9 62096 seems to have no effect.  Is there no way to nuke the process ?

Looks like faxsend is trying to exit, but failing.  (Resembling a zombie
process, but without the tell-tale Z flag).

I don't know a thing about that program, but perhaps it has a child
process somewhere that needs to be killed first?  Generally, if it is the
parent of another process, that process must exit first before the parent
can die.  (When kill -9's don't work, this is often the case).

If not, did you receive any weird kernel messages?

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>	50% Owner, Sysadmin
  SaskNow Technologies     		http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   		Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2