Date:      Mon, 30 May 2005 20:42:00 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        yongari@rndsoft.co.kr
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, Mathew Kanner <mat@cnd.mcgill.ca>
Subject:   Re: Project Weevil [was: maestro3 hardware volume control]

Pyun YongHyeon wrote:

> On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 10:15:40AM -0400, Mathew Kanner wrote:
>  > On May 29, Scott Long wrote:
>  > > Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
>  > > >On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 01:28:59AM +0300, Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
>  > >
>  > > It might be possible to examine the system SMBIOS table for the make and
>  > > model of the system and use them as keys for a quirk table.  Of course
>  > > it will only work for systems like laptops that have the M3 or A1 chip
>  > > embedded.  sigh.  I think that this all works in the Windows world
>  > > because the hardware maker provides a driver that is customized
>  > > appropriately.
>  >
>  > 	Sorry about hijacking this but what a opportune moment...
>  > 	Project Evil provides %75 of the infrastructure (the hard
>  > stuff no less) of what is needed to get audio drivers off the ground.
>  > 	Anybody want to start of proof of concept?  Perfect use for
>  > those CDs that came with your motherboard.
>  >

> I don't know whether it's possible or not. I have no experience of
> ndiscvt(8). Personally, I don't like to use Windows drivers as it
> severely limits the driver to x86 based architectures. I think Linux
> supports wide-ranges of audio hardwares than that of FreeBSD.
> If we can pour our time on reading Linux driver we would get better
> audio support, IMO.
>
>  > 	--Mat

We probably need to work on more modern sound infrastructure before we
start thinking about supporting NDIS-style drivers.  While it might be
possible to map a small subset of the driver functionality to our
voxware API, it's really not going to help much in the long run.  I
don't know what the correct answer is here for future direction either.
ALSA has been the 'next big thing' for the past 5 years, but really
doesn't seem to be living up to the promises.  Should we try to
implement it anyways and use it as the foundation for our
next-generation PCM framework, or should we moderize the newpcm API
ourselves and hope that ports authors will follow us when/if ALSA does
gain traction?

Scott