Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 2009 14:28:07 -0700
From:      Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: swap_pager complaints but not using swap

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Dieter wrote:
>> AMD64  FreeBSD 7.0  2 GiB main memory
>>
>> My console says:
>>
>> login: swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0, blkno: 22,
>> size: 4096
>> swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0, blkno: 22, size: 4096
>> swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0, blkno: 22, size: 4096
>> swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0, blkno: 22, size: 4096
>>
>> pstat -sk
>> Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
>> /dev/ad6s10       4590208       96  4590112     0%
>>
>> Wow, using a whole 96K of swap.  I don't see any disk related
>> complaints in dmesg.
>>
>> Is this something to worry about?
>
> Yes, the system was *trying* to do swap I/O and timing out while doing
> so.
>
> Kris
isn't swapspace supposed to be on a 'b' partition?  Are you using swap
on a slice 10?  how is that possible when the i386/amd64 BIOS can't see
more than 4 primary partitions?

Kris, would you mind giving input to this?  How can there be a s10, and
how can you add swapspace to a device that isn't a partition 'b' nor a
file backed swapspace?  Those were the only two ways I thought was
supported for swap.

Dieter, does my questions above sound to be a correct interpretation of
your disk setup?

thanks!

--Tim