Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 2008 11:33:09 +0000
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        Lazar Szilard <indul@citromail.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: proxy

--=-Oy45P75YK18JawH6wdym

On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 11:09 +0100, Lazar Szilard wrote:
> hi,
>

> I have a beginner quieston.
>
> I use FreeBSD 7.1-RC1 without X on my notebook.
>
> How can I configure my network to
>
> 1. use proxy to http or ftp connections (proxy address:  (10.0.1.1:8080)
>
> or (on another place, with stong restrictions, but port 22 is open)
>
> 2. use ssh tunnel (in windows I've used socks5 proxy trough my server: ssh -D 7777 user@host.tld)
>

> where can I set these settings?
>
> best regards,
>
> indul

To use a proxy with most applications, it is simply necessary to set the
appropriate environment variables. Eg, I have a squid proxy running on
the server 'proxy', port 3128, so I put the following in my .bashrc:

export HTTP_PROXY=proxy:3128
export http_proxy=http://proxy:3128/
export ftp_proxy=http://proxy:3128/

To use an ssh tunnel, you already have the command right there.. I use a
tiny rc script to manage my ssh tunnels, it is attached. Put
in /usr/local/etc/rc.d and add the following settings to /etc/rc.conf
proxy_tunnel_enable="YES"
proxy_tunnel_remote_user="someone@somehost"

You should also set up passwordless ssh authentication for root to the
user@host you wish to use for proxying to, and then simply change your
local users proxy settings.

--=-Oy45P75YK18JawH6wdym--