Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 07:06:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

> > Gee, sounds like you picked the perfoect porting platform... and me
> > sitting here with this Multia with full system documentation, NetBSD
> > source that runs on the thing, Linux source that runs on the thing,
> > and a partial port of the FreeBSD VM code to the thing!  Boy, is my
> > face red!
>
> You act as if this was my choice.  Digital donated the stuff and since
> beggers can't be choosers, we took whatever they had to give.  It
> wasn't until afterwards, when they proved unable to supply any docs,
> that we knew it would even be a problem.

BTW, if this is truly your position, and you are not trying to "one-up"
me (which is meaningless for me, I assure you; I am egoless in the Buddhist
sense of the word, as well as the Jungian), then I'd have to say that
"beggers are not the people who should be doing the port, since they
might end up with undocumented hardware".

You should start your calculation with "competed port = ?" instead of
running calculations and hoping you end up with "completed port" as
one of a number of brute-force soloutions.

It's not like a lack of documentation is a totally unprecedented event,
or even unexpected by a reasonable person for a new platform.  Either
you are being supported by DEC or you aren't.  It's a nice, binary
compare, which you should be capable of making on your own without me
harrassing you into it by declaring it an Aristotilian mean.

In that sense of undocumented vs. documented, it was *alway* your
choice; the only variable was "who could afford to participate", and
you made that decision based on your inherent biases, since it's not
like all DEC hardware is undocumented.  Only the hardware you felt
compelled to choose because of your own bias.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.