Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 01:49:03 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dealing with zombies

"David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu> wrote:

>> As I recall under linux setting up a signal handler that excutes waitpid()
>> is not necessary if you are set (by default) to ignore SIGCHLD.

> I believe that is true under POSIX.

Posix would never be that specific about a religious detail. ;-)

Posix IMHO allows for this option, but it's of course not mandatory to
be the default.  If i'm not very mistaken, Linux is the only system
where the default is to ignore dead children (and that's supposedly
still Posix-compliant).  SysV defaults to not ignore them, but can be
turned to ignore them using Posix-style sigaction() with SA_NOCLDWAIT,
or by using legacy signal() with SIG_IGN.  FreeBSD (-current) can be
turned to ignore them using Posix-style sigaction() with SA_NOCLDWAIT.

Truely compliant software always needs to install a handler for
SIGCHLD, unless it finds the definition of SA_NOCLDWAIT so it could
set this.  Everything else is `implementation-defined'.

Of course, since the Linuxulator aims to emulate Linux behaviour, it
would do best by changing its default signal behaviour.

--
cheers, J"org