Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 1996 16:18:51 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <cimaxp1!jb@werple.net.au>
To:        Root.COM!davidg@melb.werple.net.au
Cc:        sri.MT.net!nate@melb.werple.net.au, time.cdrom.com!jkh@melb.werple.net.au, freebsd.org!hackers@melb.werple.net.au, freebsd.org!freebsd-stable@melb.werple.net.au, freebsd.org!FreeBSD-current@melb.werple.net.au
Subject:   Re: The -stable problem: my view

>    I've obviously been willing since I've been doing this for over a year now.
> The problem is that I have no time to work on new development myself. New
> development is the "fun" part of FreeBSD. I haven't had any FreeBSD "fun" for
> more than a year now, and I'm quickly approaching the burnout point (actually,
> I've already burnt out; I'm currently forcing myself to continue in this role
> only because I feel obligated to get the release out).

... then -stable *should* go. Those people who think they need -stable,
will just have to put up with the releases. And if that's not sufficient,
then they can contribute the resources to put out minor releases (of
patches?) between the major ones.

I think it is unreasonable for people to expect new functionality (like
the VM changes, for instance) to be provided by -stable at the expense
of -current development and the next release.

--
John Birrell                                CIMlogic Pty Ltd
jb@cimlogic.com.au                          119 Cecil Street