Date:      Sun, 19 Aug 2007 11:56:02 -0000
From:      David Taylor <davidt@yadt.co.uk>
To:        "Wojciech A. Koszek" <wkoszek@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE patches

On Sun, 06 May 2007, Wojciech A. Koszek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We talked about improved INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE work some time ago. I
> cleaned it up, and I have prepared a patch for the latest -CURRENT.
>
> It's here:
>
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~wkoszek/patches/kernconf.patch
>
> If you have any suggestions, please let me know as I'd really like to
> see this patch into the tree before RELENG_7.

Hi, I've discovered a small problem with this patch (or at least,
whatever version is in RELENG_6 as of 2007-07-18).

If your config file contains a trigraph (in my case, I had a comment
containing "??)"), gcc will process it as a trigraph and produce a
warning, which will break the build with a confusing and unhelpful
error message in config.c.  This caused no problems before the
new INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE option (as the config file wasn't included
in the C source file).

Not sure what the best solution is, but some kind of warning that
this can happen would perhaps save someone 30 minutes of frustration!
Alternatively, some method of escaping any potential trigraphs would
be great.

--
David Taylor