Date:      Tue, 09 Apr 96 14:04:51 PST
From:      "Brett Glass" <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Artisoft AE-3 Ethernet card: How to use large buffer?

> You could always try it.  I don't think it will work, since it's
> unlikely to have compatable gate array settings.

I'm not sure, but I believe that the internal buffer is not directly
accessible on NE2000 clones. As I understand it, the RAM is accessible via
programmed I/O after setting a pointer register. (This is one of the common
criticisms of the architecture: PIO isn't quite as fast as shared memory.)

> You need to set mem_end to mem_start + 64k.  This should be done in
> whichever probe routine is coming true.

Aren't the mem_end and mem_start parameters used for cards that have shared
memory (rather than a PIO/counter scheme)?

> This assumes that, unlike some cards, there is not only an 8k window
> to get at the memeory (in which case you want to leave it alone).

Again, I'm not certain, but I believe that access to the buffer does not
take place via a memory window at all.

--Brett