Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 23:22:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        Eric Ogren <eogren@earthlink.net>
Cc:        jon@welearn.com.au, Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world failed

He is making a good point that the mailing list is a great resource.  Many
sites ask that you join a mailing list for support, but typically most
sites offer current information on their sites and the mailing lists
simply augment that information.

It is the opposite for the freebsd.org site.  The site is a bit behind the
release version while the really useful information is in the mailing list
discussions.

I personally do not like being on a mailing list for very long because it
ends up like it has today.  I get over 200 emails in one day and send out
at least 20 as questions or as replies.  It is not very efficient.

What if nobody answers your question?  What if someone does but you did
not get an answer for two days?

I prefer to rely on documentation that I can find and read right away and
get the job done.  I also like to print out documentation and have it on
hand when I have the box in single user mode.

I find that more tangible and helpful, but the reality of the situation is
to wait a couple of months when the documentation has caught up and
various bugs have been worked out.

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

fortune:
We gave you an atomic bomb, what do you want, mermaids?
		-- I. I. Rabi to the Atomic Energy Commission