Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 1995 17:02:27 +0300
From:      kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        jc@irbs.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ** How to add second SCSI disk ? **

>> Why does the (Standalone) Install not have the command "Write Disklabel
>> Now!"? Is there some technical problem? Or do you just think the procedure
>> in Install is more complicated than doing it with fdisk+disklabel+newfs?
>
>It doesn't have it because a) it's dangerous, and b) because Jordan & co.
>were flat out writing what _is_ in there 8)

I did it like this:

1. Started the FreeBSD from installation floppy
2. Started to install FreeBSD to the sd1 normally (not sd0!)
3. I did define / and swap partitions to the disk
4. Selected games only (custom distribution)
5. Intended to load games -- was complaining about /usr partition,
   but did accept
6. Download did fail because I did have wrong IRQ on my EtherLink III
   (ep0 config, default is 10, I have 5 and did not remember change it)
   It did not effect the disk partitions.

So, I got a disk ready with some system software on it, /etc, /stand ...
I think the sd0 was not harmed, carefull installer would disconnect power
cable from the system disk (sd0). I did delete extra etc etc. and disk was
ready.

I think this is easy and takes only 4-5 minutes!

BUT DO NOT USE /stand/sysinstall! I did try it also, but it is writing
parameters to the running system /etc for example. Boot from FreeBSD boot
floppy.

I try to do some more test tomorrow.

What you think? I do not understand how you define partitions without
editing /etc/disktab entry. I do not know how to use the output of disktab
-e /dev/sd0, how do I define swap etc. into it. Man disklabel does not tell
it.

BTW I have AHA2940

Seppo

--
 +--    Seppo Kallio       -----             kallio@jyu.fi              ---+
 !    Computing Center       !   Fax +358-41-603611 Phone +358-41-603606   !