Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 11:16:46 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        tom@tomqnx.com (Tom Torrance at home)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cp problems?

E-mail message from Tom Torrance at home contained:
> Assume I have a file X which is 4555 root:bin
>                      Y which is 0755 root:wheel
>
> As root, cp Y X results:
> 1) Although I don't have write permission, the file is transferred.
> 2) The resulting file is 4555 root:bin
>
> Is this normal unix operation?

AFAIK, yes.  root has all the rights and access bits do not apply.

The group of the file is set to the group of the containing directory
(BSD behavior.)  If you wish to keep the old ownerships, you need to
cp -p (which will aslo keep the time stamps intact.)

/Marino