Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 16:54:20 -0700
From:      "Sean T. Lamont" <zeno@itchy.serv.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel crashing during route updates

Hi there. I'm wondering if there's some known bug with 2.1-STABLE.
(Build on May 17 from the current archive.)

On several occasions during routing updates from local RIP hosts, I've had
the kernel roll over and die, rebooting the system.

The only way I have been able to reproduce it is as follows:

x.x.x.1 is a FreeBSD box
x.x.x.2 is a terminal server giving RIP announcements to the localnet.
x.x.x.3 is a remote network connected via PPP.

#1. from x.x.x.1, ping x.x.x.3. Since rip doesn't know this host is on
    via PPP, it will try to send packets to the local net and fail. This has
    the (somewhat unfortunate) result of adding a routing entry to x.x.x.3
    via x.x.x.3.

#2: Delete the route to x.x.x.3 via x.x.x.3 and re-add a route to x.x.x.3
    via x.x.x.2

On two separate occasions, doing this has crashed the box, though in both
cases I had to execute the above twice. On one other occasion, I was playing
around with other RIP announcements in the local net which seemed to crash
the box as well (I wasn't using the freebsd box at all.)

I'd rather not give up on using RIP in a freebsd environment at all.

Have there been any other such reports or fixes? Should I be running gated
instead? (Not sure if gated does RIP.)

Sean T. Lamont, President / Chief NetNerd, Abstract Software, Inc. (ServNet)
- Internet access * WWW hosting * TCP/IP * UNIX * NEXTSTEP * WWW Development -
email: lamont@abstractsoft.com              WWW:  http://www.serv.net
"...There's no moral, it's just a lot of stuff that happens". - H. Simpson