Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 2020 13:30:07 -0400
From:      Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        "\@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com>, FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Wayland on FreeBSD

Polytropon writes:

>  On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 19:18:51 -0600, @lbutlr wrote:
>  > On 20 Apr 2020, at 02:24, Ihor Antonov <ngor@antonovs.family> wrote:
>  > > But even in 10 years FreeBSD hackers will keep using rotting X11
>  >
>  > Perhaps. A tiny percentage. The rest will continue as they are now,
>  > avoiding X11 at all costs because it is insecure bloat that
>  > interferes with the desired operation of the machine.
>
>  Depends. If Wayland can offer all features that X11 offers at
>  the moment, there will probably be no major problem in transition.

	Speaking only for myself (though I think there are a _lot_ of
folks who would agree): I have no particular loyalty to X.  If there's
an alternative that's faster/more secure/easier to {install, maintain,
upgrade}/[other unspecified benefits] ... what the <bleep> are we
waiting for?  Can I be a lab rat?
	_If_.
	What I _think_ I'm hearing is "Wayland is a better solution that
isn't ready yet.  Not fully integrated with FreeBSD; not even ready in
the (current) Platonic ideal."
	Am I wrong?
	Also: if I understand the conversation, Wayland works OK when
client and server are the same machine, but not over a network?

			Opportunistically,

				Robert Huff