Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2000 00:26:13 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Punctuation conventions (was: cvs commit:

> At 11:58 AM 6/2/2000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> >Please cite an English textbook on this,
>
> See
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0767903722/ref=ed_oe_p/002-9186126-2223249

"WiReD" magazine is not very authoritative.

> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201339854/ref=sim_books/002-9186126-2223249

I would be more likely to accept this as a source, if it in fact
has anything to say on the subject.  Realize, however, that AP
is likely to treat text as source code for typesetting, as opposed
to an end in itself.  Going to http://wire.ap.org/ confirms that
their wire format uses single spaces following periods.

> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0226103897/wedwordcom/002-9186126-2223249

My copy of the Chicago Manual of Style shows two spaces following
periods.

> >rather than some stupid
> >MBA book, and I'll refrain from citing MBA books on how code
> >should be written.
>
> I'd think that an "MBA book," as you call it, is much more likely
> to be an authority on business correspondence than on programming.

My problem with taking an MBA book to be authoritative is that
such a book is unlikely to be authoritative on written English.
I'd be more willing to accept the authority of an English
professor on English.  MBA professors will undoubtedly know
more about business that English professors, but we are not
disucssing business, we are discussing English.

> Also, here are some links to style guides around the Web, all
> of which say that it is desirable to use one space after a period
> that ends a sentence. (These are only the results of a brief search;
> I'm sure there are many more.)
>
> http://webster.commnet.edu/apa/apa_spacing.htm

Psychologists, not English professors.

Altavista claims to have found 492 documents contradicting
the documents you list.

> http://www.the-efa.org/news/gramglean.html#onespace

This one actually supports two spaces.  It calls the use
of one space "a case of collective cultural amnesia".  8-).

http://www.mla.org/style/faq_5.htm
http://www.richmond.edu/~writing/wweb/mladocu.html
http://www.english.udel.edu/mkvande/Paper_Requirements.html

					Terry Lambert