Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 14:53:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@geekpunk.net>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: remotely restoring over a live working system

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Dan Langille wrote:

>The defective drive is almost mounted in this box.  I'm tempted to tar the
>old disk over to the new disk and get everything back running that way.
>It's that or upgrade to stable, install about 30 or so packages, and
>manually configure everything.

Greetings Dan,

My opinion is that catastrophe's like this are to be viewed as an
opportunity to eliminate any potential bogons which might have found
their way into a particular system during its service lifetime.  I would
upgrade this box along the security branch (RELENG_4_5) and install your
30 or so packages out of ports and start just copying the relevant
config files themselves over off of the old disk (or off of your local
backup copy, which I'm sure exists, right? ;-).  This way you've
replaced the functionality of the FreeBSD install on the old drive
without copying over any of its potential quirks.  It's probably
adviseable to get the old system drive mounted and try to make a tar
archive of it before getting rid of it completely, and keep that tarball
until you're sure you've got functionality completely duplicated.

Good luck.

Brandon D. Valentine
--
"Time to resign from the human race, wipe those tears
from your lovely face.  Baby, wave to the man in the