Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 1997 10:08:00 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        TC <tchung@primenet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1.6 won't recognize IDE drive

TC wrote:

> I purchased a copy of FreeBSD 2.1.6 a few weeks ago, and have not
> had any success at installing it.  The problem, it seem, is that
> v2.1.6 can't seem to recognize the IDE CDROM drive.

Try connecting your CD as the slave on the primary IDE controller or as
the master on the secondary controllers. Most IDE drives will work one
of those ways (and one way only).

> There's a statement on back of the CD case that says the CDROM
> has a one year *unconditional* guarantee.  Questions:  does that
> mean I can return the CDROM or get a free upgrade when v2.2 is
> out? I rather have the upgrade.  Is this possible?  Failing that,
> can you give any advice on installing it with the version i have.

You can get your money back for the CD. However, this types of questions
belong @cdrom.com, not here (this list is for *technical* questions). It
may be that even 2.2 will not recognize your CD. The easiest way to
check it out is to download the install floppy for 2.2 and try and boot
from it.

> Thanks.
Nadav