Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 2010 03:20:09 -0500
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Converting i386 to amd64

Matthew Seaman wrote:

> Michael Powell wrote:
>> Greetings everyone:
[snip]

>> Thanks in advance for the wielding of any clue sticks.  :-)
>
> This sort of process /is/ possible, but it is a lot more involved than
> you're anticipating.  Unless you're the sort of person that likes doing
> terribly complicated and risky procedures for the hell of it, you are
> going to be better off just starting from scratch and reinstalling using
> an AMD64 .iso.  It's going to be quicker to reinstall anyhow.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew

OK, that's what I needed to know. It just didn't seem as if something as
complex as a cross build could be handled with just one little "TARGET=xxx".
Terrible and complicated for no real gain is not my style. I like KISS. I
have done scratch reloads before and can handle it just fine, it's more a
time management fork in the road issue. This tells me I can allocate xxxx
amount of time for a scratch reload as opposed to yyyy time for 'terrible
and complicated'. It just means more console time instead of coming by once
an hour for a few minutes. I'll stick with what I know will work then, and
budget my time accordingly. Thanks for the reply!

-Mike