Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2007 23:59:18 +0200
From:      Momchil Ivanov <idiotbg@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>, mal content <artifact.one@googlemail.com>
Subject:   Re: Jailed X applications

--nextPart4272434.POSbmMfivQ

=D0=9D=D0=B0 Friday 17 August 2007 10:07:36 Alexander Leidinger =D0=BD=D0=
=B0=D0=BF=D0=B8=D1=81=D0=B0:
> Quoting mal content <artifact.one@googlemail.com> (from Fri, 17 Aug
> 2007 06:10:39 +0100):
>
> This is better suited for freebsd-jail@ (CCed), please remove
> freebsd-security@ on reply to move the discussion there.
>
> > Has anyone here ever successfully set up a jail for X apps, connecting
> > to an external X server? I'm trying an experimental sandbox setup here.
>
> I have my X server itself in a jail (needs a kernel patch and some
> devfs rules), and in the past connected to a jail and started a X11
> programm there... IIRC.

I used to connect via ssh to a jail on a remote machine and run X11 apps fr=
om=20
there (opera, firefox......) because my computer was too slow back then and=
=20
used it just to draw the windows. The machine with the jail was running 6.x=
=20
and I still have the jail there, just don`t use it any more. I did not have=
=20
any issues with this setup.

> > I have a jail running on an aliased IP on my local machine and X
> > programs connect out of the jail to my local X server via an SSH
> > tunneled TCP connection. All other packets to and from the jail are
> > denied by the packet filter.  The trouble I am having is that many
> > applications (all X apps so far and a few of the SSH tools) try to open
> > and read from /dev/tty, which clearly isn't going to happen:
>
> ssh uses a tty (pty?), but normally you have some in a jail. How do
> you start the jail? There should be devfs mounted in the jail.
>
> Bye,
> Alexander.

=2D-=20
PGP KeyID: 0x3118168B
Keyserver: pgp.mit.edu
Key fingerprint BB50 2983 0714 36DC D02E =C2=A0158A E03D 56DA 3118 168B
 =20