Date:      23 Dec 2002 23:02:13 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   PC64 getting kernel panics while using bridged networking

I have a PC64 machine with a recently-installed copy of FreeBSD 5.0-RC1
(plus a cvsup or two since installation).  I want to use it as a bridged
firewall using two fxp NICs.  The kernel is a derivative of GENERIC with
inapplicable devices commented out, and only one option:

    options                PFIL_HOOKS

added (I'm using 5.0 in the first place because I want to use ipf on the
bridge).

My trivial bridge setup is:

    # cat /usr/local/etc/rc.d/0.bridge.sh
    #!/bin/sh

    kldload bridge
    sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_cfg="fxp0,fxp1"
    sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_ipf=1
    sysctl net.link.ether.bridge=1

and my ipf.rules consists of only:

    pass in all
    pass out all

for now.  The setup works well for short periods of time, but the kernel
panics as soon as a small load crosses the bridge.  Excerpts from dmesg:

    fxp0: promiscuous mode enabled
    fxp1: promiscuous mode enabled
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5
    ether_input: drop bdg packet, bif 0x5

    fatal kernel trap:

        trap entry     = 0x4 (unaligned access fault)
        faulting va    = 0xfffffe0000028e9a
        opcode         = 0x28
        register       = 0x3
        pc             = 0xfffffc00003614a8
        ra             = 0xfffffc0000362284
        sp             = 0xfffffe000a36ba60
        curthread      = 0xfffffc000f71fd10
            pid = 19, comm = intr: fxp0

    panic: trap

    syncing disks, buffers remaining...
    done
    Uptime: 8m28s
    Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
    Rebooting...

I have never experienced these panics using the system in non-bridged mode,
i.e. as a regular host on the network.  The repeatability is 100%: if I
enable bridging, then the kernel panics within minutes.

Any ideas?  I am *very* new to the Alpha platform (I only built my first
machine within the last month), although I have a bit of experience with
FreeBSD/x86.

Please note that although I'd be willing to try a bog-standard GENERIC
kernel, I don't have one on the system anymore, and it takes several hours
to build one.  As I've dedicated tonight to a 'buildworld' to update the
compiler toolchain before giving this another effort, I'll have to wait
until tomorrow (at the earliest) to try it.  However, my kernel really
should be very similar to GENERIC (minus the one addition), and I only used
the minimal optimizations ('-O') from /etc/defaults/make.conf to build it.
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.