Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:01:30 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: aio_connect ?

In message <20041022172759.GX22681@funkthat.com>, you wrote:

>Oh, another thing is that there isn't yet a verbose signal delivery
>mechanism..  There are only two signals that are for user's use...
                                        ^defined in relevant standards

Signal numbers are typically represented as ints.  Is there anything in
the kernel that prevents me from, say, calling kill(2) with a second
argument of, say, 0xdeadbeef, in other words any old random int value
that I might care to use?

If not, then there are effectively 4 billion+ different signal numbers
that could be used by a programmer.  Such usage might not be fully
standard-conformant, but it might work OK, nontheless.  (In fact, one
might even be able to use _most_ typical pointer values as if they
were signal numbers, simply by casting them to ints before use.)