Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:36:37 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: kde troubles....

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 03:57 +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 17:41:42 -0700, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 02:02 +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> > > Yes, since I need to use FreeBSD 7 after an accident destroying all
> > > my data where fsck cannot help anymore, and FreeBSD 7 and it's
> > > software does not behave the way I think it should... :-(

After my Nov., 1999 disk failure, I found that my 4G tape had
overwritten stuff; I lost 10 months of data files.  .... .

> > i know the feeling.
>
> It's not that I want to complain, I'll stay with FreeBSD,
> I'm just a little upset. Things behave much slower, allthough
> the system boots faster. X and the applications seem to eat up
> every bit of performance boost the new OS gave them.

Are you using gcc 4.3 with -O3?   I have noticed that 4.3 generates
faster binaries.  Still, I cringe with 7.0.  I haven't tried to compute
the 7th root of infinity yet, :-) ... .

> In the "good old times", you could update your applications
> and they ran faster on the same hardware. That's what I've loved
> FreeBSD for. Today, the applications run slower after every
> update, so I have to update my hardware in order to just keep
> the speed?

....Sounds like DOS/Windows.  Every new release, Intel counts up its
$billions in faster uprocessors.  With our stuff, it may be X11 and
possibly sloppy hacking.  I can't tell since I just gave away my old
750MHz for a 2.4GHz Dell.

> (Off topic, sorry.)
>

> > xdm works very well, but only tried logging in as root.
> > missing .xsession and .ctwmrc that i used more many, Many years.
> >
> > i'll tell you, after using FBSD since 2.0.5, i'm ready to give omething
> > prepackaged a try.
>
> The only things I do compile is wirld, kernel, and mplayer.
> For everything else, pkg_add -r is very welcome.
>
> By the way, compiling lasts much longer in FreeBSD 7. I think
> this is due to more optimization, but from 1 to 9 hours...
> what's wrong here?!

Examples, please?  ball-park [estimates] for times are okay.
The worst ting for me is re-compiling OO

> Of course, xdm won't give you the functionality that kdm
> offers. A nice replacement for xdm, by the way, is wdm,
> which you can use together with Windowmaker, but without it,
> too. Especially if you want to use different window managers,
> wdm allows a simple means to switch them at login time.

Ah, you may be the perfect man to ask about this multi-wm launch daemon.
I saw it once a long, long time ago.  I would really like to try
different window managers.  I used ctwm for Years, but that sseemed
to limit my use of certain apps.  Mostly in the Gnome/KDE world.  Soooo,
bit bit bit I got used to the default gnome desktop/wm on my Ubuntu
computer.  I wound up trying KDE and used it until it finally broke
after a power surge or power-out.

What are your top w managers?

> > To the LIST:  I found my missing .xinitrc.  but now my .xsession file is
> > gone.
>
> This is my ~/.xsession: It allows sourcing of the settings
> from ~/.cshrc (because the C shell is my usual dialog shell)
> and then executes ~/.xinitrc:
>
> 	#!/bin/csh
> 	source ~/.cshrc
> 	exec ~/.xinitrc
>
> So you can keep all your settings in ~/.xinitrc, for example:
>
> 	#!/bin/sh
> 	xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc
> 	xsetroot -solid rgb:3b/4c/7a
> 	xset b 100 1000 15 &
> 	xset r rate 250 30 &
> 	xset s off &
> 	xset -dpms &
> 	exec wmaker
>
> Both files are +x attributes.

I'll try your startup config, thanks.  Sometimes I'll get up but my
xmodmap never touch my rc file; bothers me.

> > going to reboot after rm'ing kdm.pid.
>
> You should be able to restart kdm from the console, but I think
> your setting includes automatic kdm start after system startup,
> controlled by /etc/ttys.

Right.  There is a way of havving gnome boot into graphics mode, but
since I'm a CLI type ----except for Xterms ----, I like to see the
console.

The portupgrade finished; time to reboot and see if that fixed
anything.