Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:14:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Dmitry Mottl <dima@sinp.msu.ru>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: system halt

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Dmitry Mottl wrote:

> This is from /var/run/dmesg.boot
> ==
> sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
> sio0: type 8250
> ==
>
> When I write
> cu -l /dev/cuaa0
>
> system halts (console/network is not working at all)
>
> What happens?
> How can I aid this?

You have the serial port disabled in the BIOS, or not set to the I/O
port and IRQ that FreeBSD is expecting.  Enable it in the BIOS and
make sure the BIOS and FreeBSD agree about the settings by changing
one or the other.  I'm not sure exactly why this causes FreeBSD to
freeze, but I have come across the problem as well.  It is definately
a hardware problem with an unfortunate software side-effect.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet