Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:19:55 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: splash screen at start up

On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 12:34:10PM -0800, R Joseph Wright wrote:
> My kernel config file has the option:
> pseudo-device      splash
> I know this is used for the screensaver, but how do I use it show a
> screen during boot up?

You will also need

options         "VM86"

options         VESA                    # needs VM86 defined too!!

in your kernel config as well.

Try the following in /boot/loader.rc (change ``/dawn.bmp'' to the name
of a valid 256-colour Windows bitmap file, 320x200 in size if you
video card doesn't have VBE on-chip).

load /kernel
load vesa
load -t userconfig_script /kernel.config
load -t splash_image_data /dawn.bmp
load splash_bmp
autoboot

You will also need

options         "VM86"

options         VESA                    # needs VM86 defined too!!

in your kernel config as well.

HTH

> --
> R Joseph Wright
>
> *I merely took the energy it takes to pout
> and wrote some blues --Duke Ellington*

	"there's a long-standing bug relating to the x86 architecture
	that allows you to install Windows too"
				   -Matthew D. Fuller