Date:      Sat, 05 Feb 2005 23:35:46 +0000
From:      Chris Hodgins <chodgins@cis.strath.ac.uk>
To:        "J.D. Bronson" <jbronson@wixb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: repost of boot issue on 5.3

J.D. Bronson wrote:
> At 05:19 PM 2/5/2005, Chris Hodgins wrote:
>
>> J.D. Bronson wrote:
>>
>>> No one responded - I am sure someone out there knows what the deal is
>>> here...
>>> I did a full install from CDROM on a fresh new clean drive.
>>> Freebsd is the ONLY OS on the drive. And i used the entire drive.
>>> I selected the standard boot manager (not the freebsd one)...
>>> and all the install went fine. This is what I see when I reboot after
>>> install:
>>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
>>> Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader
>>> boot:
>>>
>>> ..and it JUST SITS there. If I hit the return key, it will boot up
>>> into the beastie menu and boot fine. How can I get this machine to
>>> boot up on its OWN?
>>> The boot startup sequence on the machine is HARD DRIVE THEN CDROM.
>>> This is the only hard drive in the system.
>>> Please if anyone knows how to fix this?? - A fresh install with a
>>> fresh drive....and still no luck.
>>

>> This might give you a few ideas. :)
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/boot-blocks.html#BOOT-BOOT1
>>

>> Chris
>

> I tried this (even tho a full install it SHOULD not be needed) and I
> still get the same darn thing. I am really disappointed as I dont know
> why its hanging.

My /boot/loader.rc file looks like this:

/boot$ cat loader.rc
\ Loader.rc
\ $FreeBSD: src/sys/boot/i386/loader/loader.rc,v 1.2 2003/11/21 19:01:02
dcs Exp $
\
\ Includes additional commands
include /boot/loader.4th

\ Reads and processes loader.rc
start

\ Tests for password -- executes autoboot first if a password was defined
check-password

\ Load in the boot menu
include /boot/beastie.4th

\ Start the boot menu
beastie-start

This seems to be the place where you get it to load the right
things...check that out.  I am no expert btw. :)

Chris