Date:      Thu, 23 May 2019 01:23:25 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dovecot packages

Doug Hardie wrote on 2019/05/23 00:41:

[...]

> Unless you notice this interesting anomaly, you can get easily burned like I did.  I would recommend that either the dovecot2 package be deleted, or at least kept current with the dovecot package.

There is no dovecot2 package in the official FreeBSD repository / ports
tree: https://www.freshports.org/search.php?query=dovecot

You have very stale packages on your machines and you didn't read
instructions in UPDATING file of "pkg updating" command:

20170807:
   AFFECTS: users of mail/dovecot2 and mail/dovecot2-pigeonhole
   AUTHOR: adamw@FreeBSD.org

   Now that dovecot1 has been removed from the ports tree, dovecot2
   and dovecot2-pigeonhole have been renamed to simply dovecot and
   dovecot-pigeonhole.

   pkg should handle the rename automatically, but if you run into
   trouble, you can point pkg at the new origin via:

   # pkg set -o mail/dovecot2:mail/dovecot
   # pkg set -o mail/dovecot2-pigeonhole:mail/dovecot-pigeonhole

   Similarly, you can point portmaster at the new location via:

   # portmaster -o mail/dovecot mail/dovecot2

   If all else fails, just remove and reinstall the package:

   # pkg delete dovecot2
   # pkg install dovecot

Miroslav Lachman