Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 1996 09:05:35 +0000
From:      dicen@hooked.net
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User ppp not hanging up modem.

Okay I have an update on the modem. My modem is a SupraFaxModem 14.4k
V.32bis externel sold for Macs. I got it not because I used to have a
mac but because I needed that type of cable it came with. This modem is
set by default not to do anything on a DTR transition. To hang it up you
do the correct thing which is escape with "+++" and then execute ATH.
User ppp only seams to cut the DTR.

So I have now set the modem to be a PC type which will go into command
state with a DTR transition. This introduces other problems. Since
cutting DTR now doesn't reset the state of the modem, it just hangs it
up, doing a redial right after will not work. You have to wait a couple
seconds. I can issue special commands to the modem to fix this but these
commands are not standard. Actually my modem practicaly has an OS in it,
it is so complex.

This really needs to be put in the FAQ. I would rather have an escape
done "+++" and the an ATH to hang up the modem but atleast it works now.
Is this code in the termios library? I haven't look in my books yet.

I am posting this to questions, current and stable becuase it applies to
all of them. You can configure majordomo not to send duplicate emails
for different mail lists. It isn't that hard.

Thanks for the help.
dicen