Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 1995 07:57:46 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@geli.com>
To:        G.Watson@gu.edu.au
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Case for FreeBSD presentation docs?

I bought a 192 wide node SP-2 for NAS last year, and supervised the
benchmarking.  After which I quit to do more interesting things.  The
590 boards are very fine, and the switch and message passing architecture
is very good, but the disks are about 2x slower than what you can run
on pcs, and from what I understand it is hard to deal with large amounts
of IO.  Which is not a lot different from a cluster.  You don't have
all wide nodes, right?

And about the load-leveler:  I'm a beta site for the Portable Batch System
being developed at NASA.  The schedule for supporting parallel jobs on
workstation clusters (including FreeBSD pc clusters) is mid-summer, so that
is the last mandatory piece of the puzzle, I think.  (Some would say
they can't live without a Fortran source debugger, sissies I say ;-)

Things are very exciting in the world of computing these days.

Cheers,
Russell