Date:      Fri, 13 Jan 1995 04:14:59 +0300
From:      "Andrew A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@cs.weber.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, peter@bonkers.taronga.com, wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu
Subject:   Re: Small syscons change

In message <9501130008.AA07296@cs.weber.edu> Terry Lambert writes:

>> In message <199501122114.PAA09829@bonkers.taronga.com> Peter da Silva
>>     writes:
>>
>> >DEC's cute but bizzarre line wrap behaviour strikes again.
>>
>> >You wouldn't believe what I had to do to get it to work right when emulating
>> >the VT100 on other terminals...
>>
>> VT100 have very different behaviour then simple line wrap:
>> cursor stuck in last position until next char will be printed.
>> Standard linewarp goes to first column immediately after
>> printing char in last column.
>> You mast have an option (ioctl?) in syscons to emulate VT100 line wrap.

>The actual term is "delayed wrap" and the actual description is "wrap
>*before* 81st (133rd) character", as opposed to "wrap after 80th (132nd)
>character".

>The termcap description of their attribute to deal with this (AM) is
>*wrong*.  This is what xterm means with it's 'Enable Curses emulation".

There is termcap capability which match this case: "xn" (in addition
to "am")
Corresponding terminfo capability: "xenl"

>The problem in a partial fix is that "eat CR after wrap" still causes
>a forced scroll if it was the 80th (132nd) character of the last line.

There is no partial fix, but completely different behaviour,
SCO standard console (which syscons emulate) use true line wrap
without delay.

>SCO curses handles this on their console (which is *not* "delayed wrap")
>by outputing the 80th character in the 79th column, and reinserting the
>previous 79th character.

ncurses do this in the same way.

--
Andrew A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -