Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 2014 03:11:36 -0500
From:      Mike Sanders <tmp1@freebsd.hypermart.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd : 10 : mutt : 1.5.23 : with ssmtp?

Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> hello,
> still not given up on using mutt 1.5.23 on my freebsd 10 system.
> a bit of experimentation with a lot of failures has led me to
> believe that using a mutt compiled without ssl/sasl support but
> used in combination with ssmtp might be good enough for me.
>
> does anyone have any experience running mutt with ssmtp?
> if yes, may i know if it works and if it works well enough? :)

You can of course compile mutt from ports with builtin smtp support...

Or, if you insist on external smtp, try [m]smtp which is
made specifically for mutt. My instructions using gmail
are here:

<http://freebsd.hypermart.net/msmtp.html>;

In any event, you most likely still need ssl/tls.

--
Mike Sanders
www: http://freebsd.hypermart.net