Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:15:15 -0600
From:      "Dan Dockery" <danarchy@endeneu.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Goodrichs" <nbd95@macconnect.com>
Subject:   Re: network inop-new install

>I have a network problem with a new install of freebsd 3.0 from walnut
>creek dist. It seems I can't connect outside the box. I've tried several
>avenues to get it working with no luck. I've been through the FAQ's, tha
>handbook, and several Freebsd tutorials.  I have used this network config
>successfully with a Slackware server for several months, the hardware and
>network are functional.
>
>The problem is well documented on the seafug list at this url.
>
>http://www.seafug.org/archive/1999-04/msg00021.html
>
>I'm getting depressed and have taken up drinking and squandering money on
>fast women, please help me.  If the list prefers I can repost the info
>here, otherwise the seafug archive is up-to-date and very fast.

When you try to telnet into your machine are you going by name or by IP
address?  Try by IP address.  Also, I don't know if it causes any
problems to have multiple hostname, etc. entries in rc.conf, but that's
another thing you might want to look at.  Perhaps trim the built-in lines
under "Basic network options" should be commented as well as the stock
defaultrouter line.  You might as well turn off named until other things
are working just to eliminate one more possible thing from the mix.  Are
you able to telnet into the loopback address?

-Dan

"Come give anyone of us, for instance, a little more independence, untie our hands, widen the spheres of our activity, relax the controls and we -- yes, I assure you -- we would immediately beg to be under control again."
  -Dostoevsky "Notes from Underground"