Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 17:46:28 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, papowell@astart.com, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Subject:   Re: was: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

In message <20000628134614.I8602@argon.gryphonsoft.com>, Will Andrews
writes:
> On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 02:41:27AM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:
> > Erm, then why not do this with apsfilter?
>
> Because apsfilter also brings in far more useless junk that LPRng
> does.  26,000 lines over our current lpr == LPRng.  apsfilter == LPRng +
> lots and lots and lots of other crap.
>
> In any case, I think it was agreed that we are not going to import LPRng
> without a BSD license.

I just read a posting earlier today on this list that stated that BSDI
had received a BSD license from the author of LPRng.  I think that this
new information changes everything.  Of course, in my mind this raises
a bunch of other questions like why didn't the author of LPRng do that
in the first place or why this offer wasn't extended to FreeBSD (or
maybe the offer was made but not communicated to this list), but I'm
not going to look a gift-horse in the mouth and just accept the gift.
Assuming the the offer to BSDI extends to FreeBSD, I think that this is
great news!

As Patrick Powell is cc'd in this email (and the previous one) and
rather than myself or anyone else commenting based upon second or third
hand reports, maybe Patrick could confirm, deny, or clarify this (for
the lack of a better word) "rumour".

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC