Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 09:52:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install newer version over old one...

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
:->What would it take to fix that?  I just took a very quick peak, and am not
:->sure how its done now, but having it use DISTNAME to create that directory
:->should do it, no?
:->
:->If DISTNAME not found in /var/db/pkg, install ...

The DISTNAME information isn't any more help than the PKGNAME (what
it's using now) and would break proper interaction with the package
system. Python is typical:

    The PKGNAME is python-1.5.2 (and that's the name of the directory
    in /var/db/pkg). The DISTNAME is py152. The directory I found the
    port in is /usr/ports/lang/python.

What's needed is some way to find the directory. Making
/var/db/pkg/PORT (or maybe +PORT) a symlink would do the trick. Or
putting the port name (lang/python) in that file.

I could see a script that looked like:

	for $pkg in SORTED_PKG_LIST
	do
	    cd /var/db/$pkg/+PORT
	    make upgrade
	done

That leaves the problem of cases where the port directory includes
some part of the version number, and that gets changed at some
point. Some protocol for such cases would allow them to be found
programmatically. That would do, assuming that everything that depends
on that port has the makefile changed as well.

	<mike