Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:21:22 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Gheorghe Ardelean <ardelean@ww.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   installworld broken when upgradeing from 4.0R to RELENG_4_6

Hi,

I was upgrading from 4.0R to RELENG_4_6 and encountered some problems.
Both buildworld and buildkernel worked fine but when I did installworld
this failed just after the installation of /bin/test command with the
message
ELF type binary not known...

As a work around I made
sysctl -w kern.fallback_elf_brand= FreeBSD
(on my 4.0R this sysctl was none)

Now the remaining old binaries (4.0R) appear as SVR4 (type 0).

Have I done something wrong or missed some steps?
I have noticed there is nothing about this in UPDATING.

Best Regards,

Gh. Ardelean.