Date:      Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:50:21 -0800
From:      =?Windows-1250?Q?Derek_Kuli=F1ski?= <takeda@takeda.tk>
To:        Koen Martens <fbsd@metro.cx>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@flat.berklix.net>
Subject:   Re: "runtime went backwards" message in logs

Hello Koen,

Friday, December 30, 2005, 2:30:02 AM, you wrote:

>>Highly likely it has a Lot to do with it :-) Maybe the master time
>>server had `date` run manually, or otherwise shifted, or came back
>>on net after an outage, & the systems noticed drifted time & corrected etc.
>>       man ntpd
>>       man ntp.conf
>>       etc :-)
> AFAIK, under normal circumstances ntpd should never reset the current
> time the hard way. Ntpd slows down (slews) or increases (steps) the
> speed of your clock, such that it will catch up or fall behind enough to
> become in line with the ntp servers it is listening to (since resetting
> the time the hard way is usually not a good idea; think makefiles,
> cronjobs that could run twice, etc..). You could check out the -x flag
> to nptd, to prevent setting the clock the hard way all together (since
> network congestion and stuff like that might result in ntpd setting the
> clock the hard way).

I would like thank you and Julian for your help, it made this more
clearer to me.

But besides ntp what are other possibilities for this error? When I
was googling I saw that people received this message mostly on vmware,
and in 5.x versions. Switching kern.timecounter.hardware to different
value helped for them. Also it's suspicious that this happened just in
time sendmail was asked to send mail. There aren't any ntp log
messages around that time...

Here is how mya kern.timecounter look like:
[chinatsu]:/home/takeda> sysctl kern.timecounter
kern.timecounter.stepwarnings: 0
kern.timecounter.nbinuptime: 1655158110
kern.timecounter.nnanouptime: 839637
kern.timecounter.nmicrouptime: 3091359
kern.timecounter.nbintime: 260308074
kern.timecounter.nnanotime: 60604863
kern.timecounter.nmicrotime: 197638763
kern.timecounter.ngetbinuptime: 26146849
kern.timecounter.ngetnanouptime: 45598642
kern.timecounter.ngetmicrouptime: 178378839
kern.timecounter.ngetbintime: 0
kern.timecounter.ngetnanotime: 306812
kern.timecounter.ngetmicrotime: 562893914
kern.timecounter.nsetclock: 4
kern.timecounter.hardware: ACPI-fast
kern.timecounter.choice: TSC(800) ACPI-fast(1000) i8254(0) dummy(-1000000)
kern.timecounter.tick: 1

Not sure how much helpful it is...

Anyway, happy New Year to everyone on this list...
--
Best regards,
 Derek                            mailto:takeda@takeda.tk

Weinberg's Second Law
If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.