Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 13:47:01 +0100
From:      ANDREAS.KLEMM.AK@bayer-ag.de
To:        "        -         (052)stable(a)FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   2.2.8 && CAM

Hi !

I know this has been discussed several times, CAM won*%t make it into 2.2.x.

But know I*%m bitten myself with this.
I want to build up a new high performance server.
Ideal would be an adaptec board called P2B-SL, which
contains an AIC 7890 amd an Intel 82558.

The on board ethernet chip is supported by FreeBSD-STABLE I found in
the mailinglist archive. The AIC chip is only supported by CAM.

Is there any possibility, to get a 2.2.8 system running with these components,
or could we agree, that a 2.2.9 with CAM would be worth as last super stable
FreeBSD system in the 2.2.X line ?

Or does somebody provide a CAM boot floppy, to get a FreeBSD system
installed and are there CAM patches for 2.2.8 (-STABLE) to patch the kernel
after installation ???

I have to build the system in mid of January, that is the timeframe ....

Well, I could try to use a 3.0-STABLE system in the hope that the 3.0-STABLE
branch will be created at Jan 15th. But this doesn*%t bring me an installation
media ... Or I*%d have to install 3.0 and upgrade it ...

Recommendations ? What would you do ?

 Andreas ///