Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2019 14:57:34 -0600
From:      Louis Kowolowski <louisk@cryptomonkeys.org>
To:        Simon Connah <scopensource@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building a FreeBSD switch with commodity hardware

I think you'll see better performance if you go with an actual network =
device. If you don't need something that is under contract, something =
like a juniper ex4200 can be had on ebay for ~$100. 24/48 1g ports. =
supports vlans, ipv6 just fine. also has firewall capabilities, but =
they're not stateful.=20

If you want to hook 2 layer 2 networks together, you'll need a router. =
If you just want to make the layer 2 network bigger, you can get another =
switch. If you cascade too many switches, you'll find performance goes =
down, not to mention single points of failure and/or bottlenecks in =
performance.

> On Jan 24, 2019, at 2:39 PM, Simon Connah <scopensource@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> Hi everyone,
>=20
> First of all I am not a networking wizard so would appreciate a little =
help to see if my plan is achievable.
>=20
> I need a 1U switch to put in a datacentre and due to my familiarity =
with FreeBSD I thought building a switch based on FreeBSD would be the =
perfect solution but I'm not sure what the hardware requirements would =
be. I have 10 to 20 1gbps Ethernet devices to connect to the switch and =
a single 1gbps uplink to the rest of the internet.
>=20
> I'd like to be able to configure VLANs, allocate IPv4 and IPv6 =
addresses to individual machines and use FreeBSD as a firewall for the =
whole process. I also want to be able to expand my system at a later =
date if I need to be able to handle more devices on the local network so =
I'd need to be able to hook the two networks together somehow.
>=20
> What I'm not sure about is what hardware specs I'll need for this. =
What kind of CPU and RAM will I require and which Ethernet cards should =
I get? This is not a project that requires 100% up time but realiability =
is important during certain hours of the day.
>=20
> I'd appreciate some advice. If you need any more information then let =
me know and I'll try and provide it.