Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 2014 01:57:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Thomas Mueller <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "uellerthomas@aol.com" <uellerthomas@aol.com>
Subject:   After Seamonkey browser crash, fsck_ffs is taking forever

Running FreeBSD 9.2-STABLE, my (Mozilla) Seamonkey web browser got bogged d=
own on the zinio.com site, linked from an email. =A0Now, booting from a USB=
 stick, either FreeBSD 9.2-STABLE amd64 or NetBSD 6.1-STABLE i386, fsck_ffs=
 just takes a long time, making me wonder if it's caught in a loop.=0A=0Ade=
vice fault writing fsbn 742111051 =A0(or other number, and some of the othe=
r message are for reading instead of writing) : this was with NetBSD. =A0=
=0A=0ABut I see some possible slow progress as some lines show a fix applie=
d.=0A=0ANow it's been going 23 hours straight from NetBSD 6.1-STABLE i386 U=
SB stick. =A0Now I am running Linux from System Rescue CD 3.6.0 installed t=
o USB stick, on other computer, and am using Midori web browser and webmail=
, hope this will be sent plain-text and not multipart/alternative but not s=
ure if I can control that.=0A=0AThis is the partition mounted as /home, whe=
re most of the user data is, and I was able to copy (rsync) out most of the=
 user data to a partition on a Western Digital MyBook 3 TB USB 3.0 drive.=
=0A=0AMain hard drive is Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB.=0A=0AHow long s=
hould I let this continue? =A0I could copy out as much more useful data as =
I can, and then reformat (newfs) and then copy back, or possibly use the US=
B 3.0 hard drive partition as /home (but then I can't use it on any other c=
omputer).=0A=0AI intend, after fsck_ffs -y from NetBSD terminates, or I ter=
minate it with Ctrl-C, to open the computer and look for dust or loose conn=
ection. =A0I think I will do the latter this evening (like about 16 hours f=
rom now).=0A=0AThis hard drive was bought late May 2011, now barely inside =
the three-year warranty.=0A=0AMaybe I should buy another hard drive just in=
 case, Western Digital, Green or maybe Red or Black?=0A=0AI would also very=
 much like to know how to block annoyance web domains such as *.doubleclick=
.net .=0A=0ATom=0A