Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:17:02 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Victor Ivanov <v0rbiz@icon.bg>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: isa/pnp modem not in sio.c

Wes Peters wrote:
> Victor Ivanov wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > A friend of mine has internal modem which is not detected autmagically by
> > sio.c. It is V.34 ISA modem which behaves like a serial port.
> >
> > It is a 4.x system.
> >
> > Pnpinfo returns:
> > Vendor ID GVC1601 (0x0116c31e), Serial Number 0x00000001
> > Device Description: Rockwell V.34 Plug & Play Modem
> >
> > I found a device list in sio.c and adding {0x0116c31e, NULL} to this list
> > solves the problem (the device is detected and the modem is working just
> > fine).
> >
> > The question is: do we need to do this every time after cvsup or there is a
> > easier way to detect the modem at boot time (something in /boot)?
>
> Submit a PR with a patch (diff -c sio.c.orig sio.c) so someone can commit
> it to the source.  Then send me the PR number and I'll go commit it for
> you.  ;^)

Actually, we want the device logical id, not the card vendor id.  There
can be more than one logical device per card.

I constantly wonder why on earth the !#%$!^%!# modem vendors dont use the
'compatid' field to say 'this is compatable with a COM port' - and
everything would work nicely.

Cheers,
-Peter