Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 01:48:57 +0200
From:      Stefan Bethke <stefan.bethke@hanse.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   make world fails when updating from older -current

I was trying to go to -current from RELENG_3.  Realising that doing both
egcs and newbus in one step might be one too much, I started off with a
-current from about 3 weeks ago. make wold wnet fine mostly. However,
building the modules faild at some point with the problem described below.
I was able to finish the build by manually (cd /usr/src/sys/modules; make).

Also, the kernel build failed on that source base (yeah, I should provide
more info, but I'll still have to try the build on PRE_NEWBUS, and if that
still fails, I will post appropriate information).

Now, with a successful world from about three weeks ago, when trying to
make buildworld from about 3 days ago, I get:

===> sys/modules/fxp
@ -> /src/4/src/sys
machine -> /src/4/src/sys/i386/include
echo "#define NFXP 1" > fxp.h
echo "#define NBPFILTER 0" > bpfilter.h
touch opt_bdg.h
perl5 /src/4/src/sys/modules/fxp/../../kern/makedevops.pl -h
/src/4/src/sys/modules/fxp/../../kern/device_if.m
perl5: not found
*** Error code 1

Stop.

Again, (cd /usr/src/sys/modules; make) seems to works fine.  I haven't
investigated this any further; but having perl5 not available despite being
in the base system and having it in the path (/usr/bin/perl5) makes me
somewhat suspicious...

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke
Muehlendamm 12            Phone: +49-40-256848, +49-177-3504009