Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 2002 11:54:32 +1000
From:      Yun Huang Yong <gumby@mooh.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   installing kernel/world over NFS w/ amd

hiyas,

I have two boxes here - one is a P90 (fatso) and another is a Celeron 667
(balance).  ()s indicate the machine names.

I wish to build kernel & world on balance and then NFS mount /usr/src and
/usr/obj over to fatso so that it can install kernel & world.

I tried to setup amd on fatso to automount /usr/src and /usr/obj as
required - so that I could just do "cd /usr/src; make installkernel
KERNCONF=FATSO" and it would automount /usr/obj as required (coz I am lazy
to mount both /usr/src and /usr/obj manually :).

The NFS exports are setup correctly on balance - I can mount them manually,
and amd can mount them too.

I start amd using:
     amd -p -a /.amd_mnt -l syslog /net /etc/amd.map

And my /etc/amd.map reads:
     /defaults       type:=nfs;rhost:=balance
     usr.src         rfs:=/usr/src;fs:=/usr/src
     usr.obj         rfs:=/usr/obj;fs:=/usr/obj

I then created these symlinks:
     /usr/src => /net/usr.src
     /usr/obj => /net/usr.obj

which has the desired effect of touching /net/usr.src when /usr/src is
needed, and similarly for /usr/obj, so that amd will automount these dirs.

I then build the kernel for fatso on balance using:
     cd /usr/src;  make buildkernel KERNCONF=FATSO

Then my problem occurs when I do (on fatso):
     cd /usr/src;  make installkernel KERNCONF=FATSO

because of the symlinks /usr/src => /net/usr.src => /.amd_mnt/...

where /.amd_mnt/... is the real mount point for balance:/usr/src.

Somewhere in the installkernel process there is a call to get the CWD which
returns the real mount point (ie /.amd_mnt/...) which then seems to be
appended to /usr/obj so it starts looking for files in
/usr/obj/.amd_mnt/... which doesn't exist.  I guess normally this would be
/usr/obj/usr/src/..., but because my /usr/src is really pointing to
/.amd_mnt/... it ends up looking for /usr/obj/.amd_mnt/... instead.

What's the solution to this?

I can add fs:=/usr/src and fs:=/usr/obj to my /etc/amd.map entries so that
they become real mount points but then I would have to touch /net/usr.src
to mount /usr/src which loses me the ability to just cd /usr/src and make.

Please CC me on replies, I am not subscribed to questions.

Thanks in advance,
yun