Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 1999 12:31:49 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@freebsd.org>
To:        matt <matt@mlink.net>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: slocate v1.6

On Sat, Jun 05, 1999 at 09:52:46AM -0400, matt wrote:

> Thanks to Kevin Lindsay <klindsay@mkintraweb.com> and his willingness
> to work with me. Secure Locate v1.6 is now FreeBSD compatible =) I
> originally worked up a patch for 1.5, together we cleaned it all up
> and it was included in the 1.6 release. For those who do not know what
> secure locate is, it is a replacement for GNU locate, fixes many security
> problems and is faster (imho) then locate. It also does not allow a user
> to see any files that they don't have permission to read, ie; A user can't
> do "locate root" and see everything in root's home dir.. or so on..

This is not a change from the default FreeBSD locate - it builds its
database as 'nobody', and has done so for at least three years.

I've considered installing slocate, as the functionality to actually
see all files you have access to (and not just the ones readable by
everybody) seems useful.  However, the need to add another potentially
insecure setuid[1] program has stopped me.

Thanks for putting in the work to make it work with FreeBSD, though -
it seems useful, just misnamed :-)

[1] I at least seem to remember it being setuid - it should really be
enough to make it setgid, and add a group for it...

Eivind.