Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 1997 17:38:46 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Shimon@i-Connect.Net (Simon Shapiro)
Cc:        dg@root.com, FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make World Explodes

Simon Shapiro stands accused of saying:

> You must jump into conclusions :-)

Not often.

>   A.  I read my mail.
>   B.  This does not always help.
>   C.  I ``make world'' at least twice a week, without any ``make includes''.
>   D.  If make includes is necessary and solves the problem, then it should
>       be added to make world.  Right?

The answer to D. would already be known to you if A. was true, as I
have explained at _least_ twice in public mail on this thread exactly
why this is a one-off gotcha.  Bruce has even clarified the situation
with extreme precision in yet another mail.

To summarise :
 - 'make includes' _is_ run as part of 'make world'.
 - the include files have to be installed with something, namely the
   'install' program.
 - the sources for 'install' inherit a module from 'ls' which knows about
   some new file flags
 - the header which defines these flags cannot be installed until install
   is built which can't be built until the header is installed

So you have to help it out by presuming your 'install' is up to it and
running the 'make includes' by hand.